Monday, May 17, 2010

How to get along at a Bolivian Wedding





After three weeks I feel like I'm starting to get into the rythm of things here; well sort of. This weekend I went to my first party. It was a wedding and everything I've heard about latin weddings turned out to be true along with a few surprises.






Getting ready for the wedding started out just like it does back home. You have to choose what you're going to wear. This is very important! Shoe shopping of course and down here they have shoes in my size (33 which is about a size 3 back home. Yes I have very small feet. So I found shoes that were very difficult to walk in and entirely appropriate and went with my outfit. Next the gift. I was told by my host family not to worry because this can be bought at the door. I was very confused. In Canada the couple registers at a store and then you go and by a gift off the registry list. Not here. There are litterally stores selling things right outside the hall where the reception is being held. So you buy your gift, the shop keeper wraps it for you and you go inside where the somewhat stunned couple and their wedding party are all wearing pendants of a bride and groom in a chapel and are covered in confetti. You are introduced to the entire wedding party (a kiss on the cheek and congratulations) and then you are shown to a table.





Now lets talk about the alcohol. Well, its not just at the table. The drinks are purchased; I think. There is of course beer, liquor and punches that will punch you back if you're not careful. There is no water unless you bring it yourself. You can toast to whaterever you like, within reason and you don't have to wait for the food to come to start drinking. Once the dancing starts don't think you are out of the woods. They bring shots around on the dance floor and if you even look like you might be over the age of about 14 you are expected to drink them. People also bring cups and bottls of beer and punch out and offer them to complete strangers such as myself and then thank you for drinking with them.




Now, onto dancing. Everybody dances. Every body. I was aware of this before I went but I didn't realize that on the first beat the chairs would be pushed back from the tables and by about the 6th beat of the music the dance floor would be almost full. Mother's bring their babies on to the floor and if you can walk you dance. That seems to be the rule. I have to admit I was a little nervous before I went because I have zero latin dancing skills. I didn't have to. There were a few couples who could dance but it was pretty much like a high school dance. Most people had more rythm skills though. If you can step side to side and clap then you're ok (not to be confused with western line dancing).





To sum up, loud music, lots and lots of alcohol, dancing and go with the flow. If you follow those rules, you'll be good at a Bolivian wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment