Sunday, May 2, 2010

So far I've flown from one end of the world to the other both figuratively and almost literally, adjusted to 3800 metres difference in altitude and started to speak another language full time. My host family has embraced me whole heartedly and i got to shop in my first real market(I'll save that for another post, its an experience in itself). I'm starting to think I might make it through even if the adrenaline rush is wearing off.








The first real cultural thing I got to do this week was to go to a birthday party for 2 year old twin boys. The party was a family event and the grandparents, most of the aunts and uncles and the cousins were all there. The presents didn't seem to be the big event, in fact they weren't even openned at the party. That might be because the boys were only 2 years old and were more interested in the Thomas the Train piƱata than anything else. It was more about celebrating family and a birhtday than anything else. There were two cakes, which the boys bit into before they were cut up and served, (they were expected to do this). The adults each made a speach saying what they were thankful for and their hopes for the twins. There was lots of candy of course and by the end of the evening all the kids were very hyper and ready to annoy their parents when they got home. So if your going to have a party Bolivian style it doesn't seem to be about the gifts it seems to be about getting together and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment